Learn more about the role of a live-in carer
Discover more about the job description of a live-in carer, the flexible lifestyle it provides and how it’s often referred to as one of the most rewarding jobs around.
As a live-in carer, you’ll provide personal care, help with household chores and getting out and about. Above all else, you’ll provide companionship and emotional support – even just a chat over a cup of tea and sharing moments watching their favourite TV show – while you’re living with them.
At Helping Hands, we support adults of all ages and with many varying medical conditions across the whole of England and Wales. Just as each of our customer’s and their situations are unique, so too are each of the live-in care placements and what you’ll be required to do.
The live-in carer job description
As a live-in carer, you may be involved with:
- Companionship – sharing conversation and spending time together
- Personal care – assisting with bathing, dressing and, when necessary, continence support
- Helping with mobility – some customers need assistance getting around the home
- Overseeing medication – all according to the customer’s care plan
- Household chores – help around the home, such as vacuuming or washing clothes
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Running errands – assisting with tasks such as shopping or picking up prescriptions
- Other medical support – extra training is provided for more complex support needs
It takes a special kind of person to be a carer. A good carer is someone who truly cares about others and is not just earning a living. This is a special job, and it needs special people to do it.
Interested in making a difference to someone’s life? We’d like to hear from you. Apply online today, or find out about the salary and benefits.Apply now Email us
At first I was apprehensive, but the trainers were so encouraging that I soon lost my nerves. Two years on, being a live-in carer is still the best job I’ve ever done. I can’t imagine a more rewarding one.
Maria, a live-in carer
Essential requirements for live-in carers
Experience of caring for people is useful when taking on the role of a live-in carer, but it’s not essential. We provide all the training you need, the chance to shadow a carer before you start and ongoing support every step of the way.
The essential requirements for the role are:
- A compassionate nature and good communication skills
- The passion to really make a difference to someone’s life
- The right to work in the UK
- Excellent level of English, both spoken and written
- Pass the enhanced Basic Disclosure checks by the Criminal Records Bureau
How long do live-in placements last?
Live-in care placements are flexible and built around the needs of each customer. Most of them last for a period of weeks and then you can take a long period of leave.
Many of our live-in carers enjoy their time on placements as much as they enjoy the breaks in between, with some becoming more like friends to the customers they care for.
Carers like Mary from Zambia use their time off to visit family back home. Others use it travel or go on a relaxing holiday.More FAQs
Making the best care match for the customer and you
We put so much thought into matching each of our customers with the right carers. We look at your personality and character, preferred location and your experience.
Experience is a big determining factor when making that match. Certain care packages and conditions require more experience than others, so we always put this into consideration first.
Some of our carers prefer to work in city environments, others prefer the countryside. Some like to be close to home and others want to visit different parts of the country. We try to accommodate everyone’s preference, but we do ask for some flexibility.
If this kind of lifestyle sounds like it would suit you, then get in touch and apply today. Search for the latest carer jobs or get in touch with our recruitment team for more details about the role.
Other people are interested in...
We’re here to talk through the many job opportunities available here at Helping Hands. Call us on 08437816372 if you’d like to join our team or send us a message.