Looking for care?

Open Mon - Fri: 8am - 7pm
and Sat & Sun: 9am - 5:30pm

Looking for a job?

Award-winning training

Call us
03300376958 Existing customers

Our Experts are here to help, give us a
call. Our team is available from:
Mon - Fri: 8am - 7pm Sat & Sun: 9am - 5:30pm

Care funding – who qualifies?

Who qualifies for care funding?

We understand that care funding can be a bewildering issue and process, with many people unsure about the funds they’re entitled to and how they can access or use these.

Firstly, in order to distinguish what specific type of funding – healthcare funding or social care funding – you may be entitled to, it is important to make the distinction between the two types of care.

Definitions of social care and healthcare are somewhat ambiguous, and it is therefore important to explore all options and seek advice from medical or legal professionals to make this distinction where uncertainty prevails.

However, the below definitions provided by the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS-funded nursing care should help to get you started:

Healthcare needs – “Whilst there is not a legal definition of a healthcare need (in the context of NHS continuing healthcare), in general terms it can be said that such a need is one related to the treatment, control or prevention of a disease, illness, injury or disability, and the care or aftercare of a person with these needs (whether or not the tasks involved have to be carried out by a health professional).”

Social care needs – “In general terms (not a legal definition) it can be said that a social care need is one that is focused on providing assistance with activities of daily living, maintaining independence, social interaction, enabling the individual to play a fuller part in society, protecting them in vulnerable situations, helping them to manage complex relationships and (in some circumstances) accessing a care home or other supported accommodation.”

Assessing what contribution you’ll need to make to funding nursing care

If you live in England the threshold after which you will have to pay for your care in full is £23,250. If your assets exceed this amount, which includes most savings and investments, your local authority will consider you able pay for care yourself. It is important to remember that for care within your own home, the value of your property will not be taken into account.

If your assets have a value of less than £14,250, then you will not have to contribute to the cost of funding care. Whilst, if they value between £14,250 and £23,250 then you will usually be required to pay £1 for every £250 of assets you own between the lower (£14,250) and upper (£23,250) limits.

Asset value of person requiring careContribution towards care funding
Less than £14,250Capital will be ignored in assessment
From £14,250 to £23,250Income value of £1 per £250 of capital
More than £23,250Full contribution required

The local authority will also review your ability to pay for care based on the assessment of your income. So it is really important that before the financial assessment is carried out, you are claiming all of the benefits that you may be entitled to. If you fail to do this, your means test will assume you are already in receipt of these benefits and could potentially lose out.

Value of your home is not included

If you are receiving or will be receiving care in your own home, the value of your home is not counted within the means test for care funding.

Joint savings

In calculating your financial situation on any assets jointly held, only the proportion you are deemed to own is taken into account. For example, for a couple which has £30,000 in savings in a joint bank account would be seen as having £15,000 in assets.

Other people are interested in...

We’re here seven days a week to talk through your home care needs and find the best option for you. Call 03300376958 or request a callback and we will call you.

Looking for Care?


Looking for a Job?