Grow your career in care, with Helping Hands
At Helping Hands, carers are the bedrock of everything we do. So we do much more than provide you with the training and support for the job at hand – we also invest in your career development.
By joining Helping Hands as a carer, we’ll provide you with:
- Expert carer training before you start
- Ongoing refresher courses as and when needed
- The full support of your locally based manager, with regular meetings, plus a personal carer mentor for extra advice and support
- A personal development plan to identify any areas for development
- The option to complete a formal health and social care qualification
- Many opportunities to grow your career, as a carer mentor, at your local branch or in an office or support role
Expert training and support
We provide full training for all new carers joining our team. Run by our team of expert trainers, who have all worked as carers themselves, the training provides the theory and practical skills needed to work as a carer for Helping Hands.
Our carer training meets our regulator’s specific standards for home care and we provide regular refresher courses. Some of these courses are through our online learning site, Training Matters, which can be accessed from a computer, tablet or smartphone.
Home care’s only Centre of Excellence
We are the only fully regulated home care provider to be endorsed by Skills for Care, the strategic body for the adult social care workforce, as a Centre of Excellence. This is an official recognition of not only the overall quality of our training but also our induction programme (which includes our carer training).
This comes after we were shown to be demonstrating excellence in four main areas: showing a commitment to meeting the needs of all of our learners, measuring how our training supports people in need of care and support, complying with the social model of care, and finally how our training is directly linked to the Leadership Qualities Framework.About our training process
I can honestly say I have never worked for a company so dedicated to helping not only the clients but the staff as well. I feel so supported. All in all, a great place to work.
Darby, a carer in Maidstone
Creating your personal development plan
Once you join our team after completing your full carer training, your local manager will check your workplace and how you’re doing in the role, and will continue to do this on an ongoing basis.
You’ll be placed on a personal development plan that’s unique to you, so we can identify any support you need for your personal and career development.
As a carer for Helping Hands, we provide you with:
- A SMARTS personal development plan
- Ongoing refresher courses as needed
- Regular meetings with your local manager to review your progress
Opportunities for career development
As a nationwide company, we have plenty of opportunities across the country for you to grow your career in care.
Whether you want to move to another branch or are interested in a managerial or office-based role, we’re here to help you in your career development.
You may be interested in developing your career in care by:
- Specialising in a particular condition, such as nursing care, stroke aftercare or dementia care
- Completing a formal health and social qualification
- Moving to an office role in care management, our people team, finance or sales and marketing
We’re seeing so many people choose a more rewarding and flexible work-life by becoming a carer. If you feel a real calling to care for others, we’d love to welcome you to our growing team.
I’ve worked hard and been rewarded. Helping Hands really develop their team and want them to succeed. I’m a good example of what is possible!
Lisa Barley, Carer Training Officer