Live In Care - What Is It?
A live-in carer is an expertly trained individual who lives with you in your own home. The primary role of your carer is to allow the person requiring care to continue enjoying a secure, comfortable and independent life within the familiar surroundings of their own home.
Helping hands carers and companions can also help with:
- Personal Care and Specialist Medical Care
- Dietary and Nutritional needs being met
- Companionship and Support
- Housekeeping and Other Daily Domestic Tasks
Whether it’s helping with personal care, keeping on top of the chores or moving around the house, many of our carers become a rock to their clients, enabling them to live the way they want every day.
Call us today to talk about your care needs and see how live-in care may suit you.
With the daily help a carer, you or your loved one have the choice to stay in your own home. Our customers, like Winifred (see below), say that the one-to-one support they receive is beyond compare.Request a callback Request a brochure
Winifred's story: Live-in care for my mother
Winfred got in touch with us after her elderly mother suddenly became quite frail. She shared her story about the process: “With no experience of selecting carers I used my hunch and selected Helping Hands to find someone suitable.
“From the first interview I was impressed – they were so determined to find someone who would fit with my mother’s personality and needs. My expectations were exceeded and my mother is now cared for by a member of staff who behaves in every sense like a loving daughter. She also has the benefit of having the training and support of the organisation behind her.
“I know that my mother’s last days are being spent being cared for in a way that she thoroughly deserves – and I’m sure you can imagine how relieved I am.”
What are the benefits of live-in care?
There are many reasons why people choose a live-in carer or support worker. Here are the main ones:
- Staying in your own home in the environment you love the most
- Avoiding change – daily life can stay much the same with that extra support
- Flexible care built around you – your carer helps as much or little as you like
- Keeping the same routines, hobbies and interests
- Companionship, whether it’s sharing meals, watching TV or enjoying days out
- Family and friends can still come and go as normal
- Emotional support – many carers become more like friends to our customers
What do live-in carers do?
Live-in carers can help you to complete a wide range of everyday tasks to enable you to continue living in your own home. Offering round-the-clock support, a live-in carer can provide services that include:
- Preparing meals and washing the dishes
- Laundry and ironing
- Running errands
- Completing household chores
- Administering medication or regular prompts
- Support with bathing, dressing and toileting
- Mobility support around the home
- Support getting out and about
- Companionship and emotional support
- Feeding, walking and caring for a pet
A live-in carer can make an incredible difference to your life. While many people assume they can only support with personal care, mobility problems and administering medication, they can assist with so much more. While these physical aspects, which many people only associate with care, are very important, our live-in home carers can also aid you in all other areas of your daily routine.
People with more complex medical conditions also have the option to be supported at home. If your needs are greater, we have a team of nurse-led clinical carers who are specially trained to meet complex requirements. Whether you need ventilated, tracheostomy or continence care, or require regular insulin injections and blood sugar monitoring, a clinical live in carer can support you.
Finding the right live-in carer for you
With a handpicked carer, your life can stay much the same as before. The big change is that you have the dedicated round-the-clock support to make that so.
The idea of welcoming a new person into your home and life may seem a little daunting at first. But we walk you through each step of the way and place so much importance on matching you with someone you feel the most comfortable with and who understands your routines, likes and interests.
It may be that you’d like:
- A carer with a certain level of experience and/or specialist training
- A carer who can drive
- A choice of male or female carers to support your personal care needs
- Somebody who shares your hobby or interests
- A carer who is comfortable looking after your animals
Why choose live in care?
One of the main benefits of live in care is that it helps clients and care recipients retain as much of their independence and dignity as possible whilst they safely receive a service tailored to their needs.
With our live in home carers, customers are able to maintain ownership of their homes and stay living in their known environment – which is essential for mental health and wellbeing. With live-in care, you are also able to stay with your beloved pets that provide invaluable company and pleasure. Plus by staying in your home and known environment, you remain within your own community, close to friends and families, neighbours and social events.
Live in care enables not just elderly people to remain at home instead of having to uproot themselves and move into a care home – which can be distressing. Only the highest level of care and personal care is provided full time, 7 days a week. Our live in care services are fully endorsed by the care quality commission
Other people are interested in...
We’re here seven days a week to talk through your home care needs and find the best option for you. Call 03300376958 or request a callback and we will call you.
Page reviewed by Jill Hopcraft, Regional Care Director on November 8, 2019