Click here for COVID-19 News We're here to help - find out how we are supporting you during the coronavirus pandemic
CQC & CIW Regulated
Fast response & immediate start
Trustpilot review score Helping Hands Home Care are rated as 'Excellent' on Trustpilot out of over 850 Reviews.
Rated excellent on Trustpilot
Locally managed service

Support for students

Where do you need care?

We can provide care in your home anywhere in England & Wales

A personal assistant for university and higher education

Finding the right support at university or college is crucial. If you need help with personal care, mobility, and other tasks, one of our handpicked personal assistants will enable you to get the most out of the exciting experience ahead of you.

We believe that when it comes to care, one size never fits all. So our university support plans are built completely around your specific needs and what you want to get out of university. We place a special focus on enabling your independence.

Carefully handpicked, your personal assistant – or support worker – will assist as much or as little as you like, helping you get to lectures and doing the household chores, right through to enabling you to get involved in clubs and events and enjoy a full social life.

Call us today to find out more about the support available at university and college. We’re available seven days a week on 03300376958.

Email us Request a brochure

How support for students works

A continuous and consistent service is vital in all forms of care, but especially at university.

On contacting our team, you’ll be assigned with a dedicated manager. As a registered nurse, experienced in home care, this manager will work with you to determine the type of support you need, the personal assistant you’re looking for and will be there to oversee your care package from start to finish.

A care plan that’s fully managed – and fully regulated – offers you and your family complete peace of mind. We can liaise with social services and your university about the facilities available, advise on the best accommodation options and even ensure that the right mobility aids are in place before you arrive.

On finding your personal assistant, he or she will be there to support you throughout the academic year. They’ll take holidays and breaks when you do – so you can be assured of the same routines and the same familiar face.

What can a university personal assistant help with?

Once your care specialist has met with you to discuss your needs and find out what you want from your university support package, we will get to work in matching you with the right level of support from our team.

University personal assistants can assist with:

  • Personal care, including washing, dressing and toileting needs
  • Clinical intervention, e.g. support with a stoma, catheter, feeding tube or ventilator
  • Mobility assistance, including using hoists
  • Medication support, if required
  • Preparing and cooking meals
  • Household chores
  • Shopping and running errands

Get in touch to discuss setting up support for your studies on 03300376958 or request a callback.

Student support referrals

It’s very important to arrange personal care support for university as early as possible. Some universities even advise a year in advance to ensure that funding support is in place.

Once you have your referral from a healthcare professional, get in touch with us so we can help you with the assessment process to look at your support needs and identify the most suitable personal assistant for you.

Disability support services in higher education

Your university or college will have a dedicated learning support coordinator or disability advisor who is there to help you get the most out of your time there.

The disability services do vary between universities. It’s a good idea to contact your university’s disability advisor to find out more about the type of support they provide. This could involve:

  • Ensuring the university buildings and facilities are accessible
  • Providing course materials in accessible formats, such as Braille
  • Providing extra support in lectures or exams, such as taking notes for you or allowing extra time
  • Providing alternative teaching methods

If you’d like us to, we can liaise with relevant staff members and departments on your behalf.

Funding for disability support at university

If you’re a UK student seeking funding support for a carer or personal assistant at university, you’ll need to contact your local social services department. This is normally social services for the place where you normally reside when you’re not at university.

It can take some time to finalise your package of support for university and obtain a referral from social services. We highly recommend doing this as far in advance as possible, ideally 12 months before your start date.

Extra financial support is available for disabled students through the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA), which offers students up to £20,000 to cover any specialist equipment at university, plus travel allowance, any disability-related expenses and a non-medical helper allowance to cover any academic support.

The Disabled Students’ Allowance does not cover any additional support required through a private carer or personal assistant. For extra funding, please contact your local authority for a referral.

Meet the students we’re supporting

speech mark

Valentin makes a huge difference to all areas of my daily life. He is always flexible and has built up a great working relationship with me… read more

Jon at Cambridge University

speech mark

Other people are interested in...

We’re here seven days a week to talk through your home care needs and find the best option for you. Call 03300376958 or request a callback and we will call you.

Chat now

Looking for Care?


Looking for a Job?