Open menu
Existing customers
CQC & CIW Regulated
Receive care in 24 hours
Rated excellent on
Industry leading carer training

Types of Stroke

Ischaemic Stroke

Ischaemic strokes are the most common type of stroke and according to the NHS, “They happen when a blood clot blocks the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain.” The damage to the brain affects individuals physically as well as how they think and feel.

The Stroke Association states, “85% of the strokes in the UK are ischaemic strokes. The other 15% of strokes are due to bleeding in or around the brain, known as haemorrhagic stroke.”

It is essential to be aware of the symptoms of an ischaemic stroke, including numbness or weakness on one side of the body, confusion, difficulty walking, severe headache, nausea, dizziness, blurred or double vision and slurred speech. If you experience any of these symptoms, dial 999 immediately.

If you have an ischaemic stroke, you will be given specialist medical care and ischaemic stroke treatment. This will include removing clots, medication to reduce blood pressure and the risk of another stroke. You will also attend rehabilitation appointments with healthcare professionals, including physiotherapists, speech and language therapists and occupational therapists. Regular appointments with your GP are also necessary to monitor your health.

What are the Potential Causes of Ischaemic Strokes?

Our arteries naturally narrow as we age, but according to the NHS, other causes can speed up the process. These can include:

  • High blood pressure
  • High cholesterol
  • Diabetes
  • Smoking
  • Being overweight
  • Irregular heartbeat

Haemorrhagic Stroke

Haemorrhagic strokes are less common and according to the NHS, “They happen when a blood vessel inside the skull bursts and bleeds into and around the brain.”

Emergency stroke treatment will be provided to reduce the bleeding and help limit the amount of damage around the brain. This will be followed by a stroke care plan that will be put into place to support you with treatments and recovery.

Symptoms to look out for can include a stiff neck, nausea and vomiting, but the most common symptom is a severe headache known as a thunderclap headache. It has been described as being hit on the head. Even if the pain goes away with painkillers or on its own, you should still call 999.

What are the Potential Causes of Haemorrhagic Strokes?

There are various factors that can impact the blood vessels and cause a haemorrhagic stroke. These include:

  • Trauma, for example, a car accident
  • High blood pressure
  • Build-up of protein (amyloid beta) inside the small blood vessels near the surface of the brain
  • An aneurysm, which is a “bulge in a blood vessel caused by a weakness in the blood vessel wall, usually where it branches.” (NHS)
  • Ischaemic stroke leading to a haemorrhage

Transient Ischaemic Attacks

The Stoke Association states, “A transient ischaemic attack (TIA or mini-stroke) is the same as a stroke, but the symptoms last a short time.” These symptoms occur due to a clot blocking the blood supply to the brain. The Stroke Association further states, “When the clot moves away, the stroke symptoms stop.” However, you must contact a healthcare professional immediately before your symptoms worsen, even if they go away.

The symptoms of a TIA are the same as a stroke, which can be remembered with the word FAST.

F – Face: When the face drops to one side, unable to smile, or the mouth has drooped

A – Arms:  Unable to lift both arms due to weakness or numbness

S – Speech: Speech may be slurred, or you may be unable to talk at all

T – Time: Time to call 999

With TIA, treatment is needed to prevent another TIA or full stroke from occurring. It depends on the individual circumstances, including medical history, age, lifestyle and diet.

Individuals who have had a TIA will receive medication and may need carotid endarterectomy surgery. This “involves removing part of the lining of the carotid arteries – the main blood vessels that supply the head and neck – plus any blockage inside the carotid arteries”(NHS). This disrupts the blood flow to the brain, so if the clot isn’t removed, it can cause further damage to the brain.

What are the Potential Causes of Ischaemic Attacks?

The NHS states that ischaemic attacks are caused by “a blood clot that’s formed elsewhere in your body and travelled to the blood vessels supplying the brain, although it can also be caused by pieces of fatty material or air bubbles.”

There are various factors that can cause a transient ischaemic attack, which you should be aware of. These include:

  • An irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation)
  • High blood pressure
  • Being overweight
  • High cholesterol
  • Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol
  • Smoking
  • Living with diabetes